- 9 oz/250 g small pickling onions
- 9 oz/ 250 g mushrooms
- 9 oz/250 g zucchini
- 2 cups of water
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 strips of lemon rind
- 2 large garlic gloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 10 coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- pinch dried oregano
- finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or cilantro, to garnish
1. Place the pickling onions in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 2 minutes, then drain. Pell and reserve.
2. Trim the mushroom stems. Cut the mushrooms into halves or fourths, or leave whole if small. Cut thin strips of peel from zucchini for a decorative finish, then cut into 1/4 inch / 5 mm slices. Reserve the mushroom and zucchini.
3. Place the water, oil, lemon juice and rind, garlic, spanish onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, coriander seeds, and oregano in a pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the small onions and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer all the vegetables to a large heatproof dish.
6. Return the liquid to a boil and boil until reduced to 6 tablespoons. Pour the liquid over the vegetables and let cool completely.
7. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill for at least 12 hours.
8. To serve, place the vegetables and cooking liquid in a serving dish and sprinkle the fresh herbs over them. Enjoy vegetables à la grecque!
From Home Cooking "Quick and Healthy"