Vegetable rice casserole to complement our French dinner menu. This colorful, cheese rice is baked. It makes rice interesting, beautiful and delicious.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F/176°C
- Partially steam the broccoli and carrots.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch frying pan, add tomatoes, and saute for 5 minutes. Add well-rinsed spinach and continue to saute for 3 minutes longer.
- In large bowl combine rice and vegetables. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt (more may be needed if rice is not already salted).
- Add remaining ingredients (except 1/2 cup grated cheese). Do not over-mix.
- Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 10 minutes, remove lid, and bake 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
From “The Higher Taste – A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet”