Vegan deviled avocados – for those of us who love deviled eggs but want to share a meal with vegans.
I love deviled eggs. It is one of my favorite appetizers. I used to make it all the time for guests on game night. Yes I love playing board games and catch phrase! So a couple of weeks ago a friend who lives in Thailand sent me this vegan recipe to try. She said make and eat one for me please. Because avocados are super expensive in Thailand. I confess I was a little skeptical about it. But they turned out great! I served as an appetizer to a few people and they all liked it too! It is simple to make and healthy!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 avocado
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Place the chickpeas, mustard, nutritional yeast and sea salt in a food processor and process until creamy and smooth. (I used my ninja blender, it works just like a processor with the smallest jar of the set.)
- Place in the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to assemble, there are two ways you can do it.
- You can either cut open the avocado, remove the pit and scoop the garbanzo mixture directly into the avocado halves and eat it just like that.
Alternatively, you can cut the avocado in half, take out the pit and then cut into slices. Next, scoop out the slices and cut them in half. Arrange the avocado pieces on a plate and top each one with the garbanzo mixture. Use this method if you want to serve as an hors d’oeuvre.
Whichever way you do it, be sure to sprinkle with paprika before serving.
From Molly Patrick @ http://www.mindbodygreen.com/