This Spinach Lasagna recipe came about because we had tons of Spinach in the fridge and my mom needed an idea of what to make for my sister’s bible study group dinner. I thought to myself, Lasagna always feeds lots of people and make them happy. We have tons of spinach which is much healthier than meat yet contains a lot of protein and other nutrients…So I said “Make Spinach Lasagna!”
Some of the lucky people who ate it, called it the best lasagna ever. We had zero complains about it not having meat. No one missed it. Here is what you will need to make a tray big enough for 8 servings.
- 2 large tomatoes (steak tomatoes work great), chopped
- 1 can of diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 small basket of mushrooms (about 8-12), chopped
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dry basil
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package of whole grain lasagna
- 10 oz of ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 bunch of spinach
- In saucepan heat olive oil in medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until starts to golden. Add chopped tomatoes and mushrooms and cook them for a couple of minutes. Stir in canned stewed tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread some sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish(or whatever size you are using). Arrange noodles lengthwise over sauce. Spread some ricotta cheese on top. Layer some spinach leaves on top. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, and top with Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Goes great with a nice salad and garlic bread!