Bring new flavors to your Thanksgiving dinner Turkey with this spiced turkey cherry-pear glaze recipe!
Serves 8 plus leftovers
- 12 to 14 lbs, fresh or thawed turkey
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 medium pears, quartered
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 (1/2-inch thick) slices of ginger
- 8 whole allspice
- 1 recipe Cherry-pear glaze, below
1. Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C). Remove neck and giblets from turkey; discard. Rinse turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside of body cavity with kosher salt and pepper. Fill cavity with pears, lemons, cinnamon sticks, ginger and allspice. Pull neck skin to back; fasten with a small skewer. Tuck wings under breast. Loop kitchen string around drumsticks, tie securely to tail. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush olive oil over turkey. Sprinkle with additional kosher salt and pepper. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle, avoiding the bone. Cover loosely with foil.
2. Roast 2h45m. Remove foil and. Roast 15 to 45 minutes more, or until thermometer reaches 175°F/ 79.5°C. Generously brush turkey with about 1/2 cup of the Cherry-Pear Glaze the last 20 minutes of roasting. Remove from oven.
5. Cover turkey with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove foil. Transfer turkey to a cutting board. Remove and discard fruits and spices from inside the turkey. Serve with remaining glaze.
Makes 2 cups
In medium saucepan combine 3 cups pear juice, two cinnamon sticks, two 1/2-inch slices of fresh ginger, and 6 whole allspice.
Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered about 30 minutes or until reduced to 1.5 cups. Using slotted spoon, remove spices, discard. Stir in 102 cup of cherry preserves, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.