This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork is the best recipe I have found. It is a lot of pulled pork so I usually make it and eat it a few times or make it for when I will have a large party to feed.
The slow cooker pulled pork is easy to make. I can throw everything in the slow cooker and go out with the kids for a fun day knowing I will come back to a delicious dinner. It makes the house smell really good too hihihi
So here is the the slow cooker pulled pork recipe.
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger (powder)
- 1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (also known as pork butt), twine or netting removed.
- Place the onions and garlic in an even layer ion the bottom of the slow cooker and pour in the stock or broth. Combine the sugar, chili powder, measured salt, cumin, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork and place the meat on top of the onions and garlic. Cover and cook until the pork is fork tender, about 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a cutting board. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a medium heatproof bowl. Pour the onion mixture from the slow cooker through the strainer and return the solids to the slow cooker. Set the strained liquid aside.
- If the pork has a bone, remove and discard it. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, discarding any large pieces of fat. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker, add the barbecue sauce, if using, and mix to combine.
You can serve with a side of potatoes and collard greens for a Southern feel. I put mine on bread and throw some bbq sauce on top for a sandwich. You can also serve it with a side of coleslaw in a hot summer day BBQ. My son just like to eat the meat and nothing else!