Potent potatoes are a healing food for men.
This is a Ayurvedic recipe. In the tradition of yogic cooking, this potent potatoes is a spicy, hearty recipe that is very tasty and health-promoting. The spices help to purify the blood, stimulate digestion, and increase energy. You may decrease the amounts of pepper and cayenne to suit your taste.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1/4—1/2 cup (65-125 ml) ghee or vegetable oil
- 2-3 onions, chopped
- 1/4—1/2 cup (65-125 ml) ginger root, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-2 Tablespoons (20-40 ml) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or crushed red chilies
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-4 Tablespoons (40-80 ml) soy sauce or salt to taste
- 1/2 pint (500 ml) cottage cheese
- 1/2 pound (225 gram) cheese, grated
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped pineapple, drained
- Scrub potatoes.
- Rub with small amount of oil and bake at 400° F (200° C), until well done.
- Heat ghee or oil in large skillet. Sauté onions and ginger until they begin to brown, then add garlic and spices and cook 4-5 minutes longer. Add a little water if necessary. Add soy sauce (optional). Stir and remove from heat.
- Cut baked potatoes in half, lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides and combine with onion mixture.
- Add cottage cheese. Mix well and refill potato shells, covering each with grated cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. For a nice touch, garnish with bell pepper and pineapple.
Recipe from: Foods for Health and Healing by Yogi Bhajan, Ph.D.