Italian pasta e fagioli recipe. A hearty fulfilling meal.
Serves 4 t0 6
- 1 35 oz can plum tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 oz chopped broiled mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 oz macaroni
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine all ingredients except one tablespoon salt, the macaroni and cheese in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Add one tablespoon salt to rapidly boiling water. Add macaroni gradually, so water will keep boiling. Stirring cook uncovered until tender.
3. Drain. Remove bay leaf from bean mixture. Combine macaroni and bean mixture.
4. Pour into 3 quart casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
From "The Golden Temple Vegetarian Cookbook" by Yogi Bhajan