Mexican green rice recipe
This is not that orange/reddish rice that is served at almost every Mexican restaurant. My husband (unlike me) is not a rice and beans guy. More of the meat and potatoes… Me being hispanic I am all about rice. He will eat it but not really enjoy it. Until he ate this rice at a Mexican restaurant near his work for lunch. He took me there once and was like “I wish I knew how they made this rice because this rice I could eat all the time and be happy”. I was sure it was probably just a bunch of herbs but I wanted to make sure I got it right so I started my research and now I am here to share with you this Mexican Green Rice recipe.
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice ( I used basmati)
- 2 cups chicken stock (or more depending on your rice*)
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro, lightly packed
- 2 large poblano chiles, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, roughly chopped
- Salt to taste** (I used 1.5 teaspoons)
- Put the parsley, cilantro, poblanos, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the chicken stock in a food processor ( I used my Ninja Mega Kitchen System (Blender, Processor, Nutri Ninja Cups) BL770
since I don’t have a food processor). Pulse until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pot on high heat. Add the rice and stir to coat all of the grains with oil. Spread out in an even layer.Let the rice lightly brown. When it starts to brown, stir it and spread it out in an even layer again so that more of the rice browns. Keep an eye on the rice do not let it burn.
- When much of the rice has lightly browned, scrape out the parsley purée from the food processor into the rice. Stir to evenly mix the purée with the rice. Let cook for a minute or two. It will start to smell good in the kitchen!
- Add the rest of the chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pot. Let cook on a very low simmer for 15 minutes, or as long as your package of rice indicates is the right cooking time for your rice.
- After the cooking time indicated on your rice package, remove the pot from heat. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.