Hummus is simply a chickpea/garbanzo paste. It is easy to make, delicious and nutritious for you. Hummus with whole wheat pita can be a great post workout snack. Here is a hummus recipe you can make at home.
- 16 oz of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (cook them in water until soft)
- 1/4 cup liquid from chickpeas (the water you cooked them in)
- 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
2. Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.
3. Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).
4. Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita.
Hope you’ll enjoy this hummus recipe from Happy and Healthy Recipes.
If you are looking more for a meal after your workout try some of our chicken stir-fry.