Hearts of Palm Pie is one of my favorite Brazilian dishes that my mom makes. It is vegetarian and always a hit! It is a salty main dish pie. As far as pies goes, it is fairly simple to make too. Palm heart is considered a vegetable. It comes from the center of a specific type of palm tree. You can usually find Hearts of Palm it at the grocery stores in the canned section here in the US. But you may also buy them pickled in jars, which is more common in Brazil.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can of hearts of palm, cut into rings
- 1.5 cups of sweet peas from frozen (healthier) or 1 can
- 1 large can on diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 bunch parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the crust:
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese or similar such as Pecorino
- 1 cup organic milk or another dairy free milk if you choose
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- In large skillet sauté the onion on the olive oil. Once the onion begins to golden add remaining vegetables and let it simmer.
- Combine in the blender the crust ingredients: baking soda, eggs, cheese, olive oil, milk and whole wheat flour.
- Mix well
- Grease and flour a baking dish (I use butter for greasing and the same flour as the dish).
- Pour half of the crust on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the vegetable mixture on top
- Cover with remaining crust dough.
- Bake in the oven at 375° F/190° C for 30 minutes.
- Let pit cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving and enjoy the Brazilian Healthy hearts of palm pie.