- 1.5 cups long-grain rice
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp cold water
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.5 oz/125g closed cup or white mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp oyster or anchovy sauce
- 7 oz/200g canned water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 9 oz/250g shelled shrimp thawed if frozen
- 1 cup arugula, chopped coarsely
1. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil over a medium heat. Add the rice and cook for about 15 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
2. Beat each egg separately with 2 teaspoons of cold water and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large wok over a high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil and carefully swirl it around until hot. Pour the first egg, swirl around and let cook, undisturbed, until set. Transfer to a plate or cutting board and repeat with the second egg. Cut the omelets into small squares. Or if you are in a hurry just scramble the eggs and set it aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the wok and when really hot, add the scallions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add the mushroom and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the oyster or anchovy sauce and season, if necessary. Add the water chestnuts and shrimp, and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Stir in the cooked rice and cook for 1 minute, then add the arugula and eggs and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until pipping hot. Serve immediately.
*For a more healthy version use brown rice, remembering you will need to increase the cooking time for the brown rice.