Fennel and Celery salad can be a delicious light way to start your Thanksgiving meal. Celery is great for detox and has many benefits. Celery is anti-inflammatory, low in calories, aids the digestive system, is alkaline and has the good kind of sodium. It is one of those foods that should be incorporated in your diet if you want to release some extra weight.
Let me tell you how I got inspired for today’s recipe. Yesterday I woke up with a text from a good friend who needed a ride to the auto shop. We were talking and got to the subject of spending money on a restaurant meal. I shared with him that although I don’t eat out that often…I do like to splurge sometimes on a really good meal, like I did in September at Posh Improvisational Cuisine. Talking about it, made me remember the experience, of course.
Then at night I had this interesting dream. I was at a herb garden, touching and smelling the plants to identify them and explaining them to a small group of people. There was mint, basil, parsley, sage and fennel! I love all these herbs. This morning as I was thinking what recipe to post I remembered the salad I had at that expensive meal. Shaved fennel and celery salad. Ok put that all together and bam! That is what I want share with you guys!
- 10 oz. mixed greens
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (if you are vegan substitute for nutritional yeast or leave out)
- 6 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- In a very large bowl whisk together the ingredients of the dressing.
- Add the salad ingredients and toss to coat.
To make the flavors more complex or the salad more colorful you may add nuts, such as pine nuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds (no shells) and/or shaved apple, pomegranate seeds.