This delicious fish recipe is a typical fish dish from the Northeast of Brazil. This variation was learned while we lived in the city of Fortaleza, in the state of Ceará. It has some of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil. It is by no means a fat free, low-carb type of dish. But it does have healthy oils and other vitamins from ingredients such as fish, coconut, bananas and cilantro. Just eat in moderation. It is a large recipe so it will be great for a dinner party to impress your guests with some ethnic delicious food.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 regular size fish fillets (I used tilapia but can be any white fish)
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 large can of stewed diced tomatoes ( you can substitute for regular tomato sauce if you can’t find the tomatoes- about 3 cups)
- 1 can of coconut milk or small bottle 440 ml/ 13.5 oz
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 8 bananas
- 2 cups of grated pecorino cheese (if you can’t pecorino may use parmesan)
1. In large frying pan or wok. Sautée the onion in 2 tablespoons of butter and after golden add the fish fillets that have already been seasoned with salt and pepper to taste, let it cook for about 3 min, flipping filets.
2. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, green onions and cilantro. Let it simmer covered for about 5 minutes.
3. While the mixture is simmering fry the bananas in separate large skillet. Grease the skillet with butter. Slice bananas down the middle, so you will have two long sides. Fry bananas on both sides until they are golden. Then set them aside. Here is a little delicious-fish-recipe-video of us frying bananas and making the fish.
4. Remove the fish filets from sauce with a spatula.
5. Dissolve corn starch in a 1/2 cup of cold water. Add this corn starch mixture to the sauce left in the fish pan to thicken it. Stir in slowly and keep stirring to get a smooth consistency.
6. In a large, deep baking dish assemble layers like a lasagna. First layer fish, then banana, then sauce and last cheese. Repeat.
7. Bake in oven at 350F until the cheese melts (about 10 min). Remove and it is ready to serve!
Serve with your favorite rice and enjoy this delicious fish recipe!