This healthy creamed peas and carrots recipe is a great side dish for out Mexican dinner menu. Every meal should have vegetables, even if you are not a vegetarian.
- 3 cups fresh peas (if you can’t find fresh use frozen)
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup light cream
- Cover peas in lightly salted water and cook until tender. Drain and set aside
- In a heavy pan melt 4 tablespoons of butter, and add carrots and seasonings.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In another small pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter and stir in flour. Gently stir for 1 minute. So not allow the mixture brown.
- Gradually add cream, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and begins to boil. When the sauce has thickened remove from heat. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Combine peas with seasoned carrots. Fold the cream sauce and serve. Enjoy the creamed peas and carrots recipe with your vegetarian enchiladas.
From "The Higher Taste"