Rubbing the turkey with brown sugar, cumin, chili and paprika gives this Cranberry BBQ Turkey a bold flavor! A BBQ sauce made with cranberries and pomegranate juice with a hit of chili is brushed over turkey while it roasts to give that final touch a special sweet kick! Oh yeah! People will be talking about this Turkey.
Makes 8 servings plus leftovers.
- 2 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar.
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 12 to 14- lb (5-6 kilo) fresh or thawed turkey
- 1 recipe Cranberry BBQ sauce, below.
1. Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C). In a small bowl stir together all ingredients except turkey and sauce. Set spice mixture aside.
2. Remove neck and giblets from turkey; discard. Rinse turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Starting at neck en, loosen skin by sliding your fingers underneath, separating the skin from meat. Rub spice mixture under skin, over breast, and toward thighs.
3. Rub 2 Tablespoons olive oil over turkey. Pull neck skin to back; fasten with a small skewer. Tuck wings under breast. Loop kitchen string around drumsticks, tie securely to tail. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle. avoiding the bone. Cover loosely with foil.
4. Roast 2h45m. Remove foil and. Roast 15 to 45 minutes more, or until thermometer reaches 175°F/ 79.5°C. Generously brush turkey with 1/2 cup Cranberry BBQ Sauce the last 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Cover turkey with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with fresh oregano. Serve with remaining cranberry BBQ sauce.
Cranberry BBQ Sauce – instructions and separate ingredients below.
In a medium saucepan cook 1 large finely chopped onion in 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, about 6 minutes. Add one 14-oz (~415 ml)can whole cranberry sauce, 1 cup cranberry-pomegranate juice, 2/3 cup chili sauce, 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and 1 teaspoon dry mustard. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until thickened. Stir 2 Tablespoons snipped fresh oregano; cook 1 minute more. Make 2.5 cups.
From "Better Homes and Garden - November 2013"