This coconut rice recipe usually uses jasmine rice, since it is more traditional of Thai food. Give regular rice a twist with this coconut rice recipe. I prefer to make my rice on the stove but if you want to use a rice cooker, you may so. I used basmati because it is my favorite and I have an abundance of it at home.
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) good quality coconut milk. (no preservatives, no additives and other chemicals)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 piece kaffir lime leaf – or substitute with lime grind and juice
- Pinch salt
- Toasted coconut and chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Rinse jasmine rice with water. Drain well; set aside.
- Bring coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups water, sugar, kaffir lime leaf and salt to boil in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork. Remove kaffir lime leaf. Spoon rice into serving bowl. Sprinkle with coconut and cilantro, if desired.
*Rice is great for blood type O