Chicken with okra is one of my favorite traditional Brazilian foods. It is one of those comfort foods of the winter time in Brazil and I love to put hot sauce in mine for extra warmth. I love okra! I specially like how it is slimy! Some people don’t like that about okra but to me it is the best part. If you never had okra I recommend you try it and quick! It is a season vegetable so it is not something you will find year round in the super markets here in the US. Your best bet is farmers markets. I don’t eat chicken much nowadays because of the way chickens are treated, but when you can find a good quality free range chicken this recipe is totally worth it!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 pounds of okra, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1.5 cup of tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Heat oil and fry garlic and onions until golden
- Add chicken and stir until chicken is also golden (about 5 minutes)
- Add okra and sauté for another 5 minutes
- Add tomato sauce and boiling water (enough to cover chicken, about 2 cups), let it simmer half covered until water evaporates and there is a thick sauce. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Add parsley at the end and mix it in.