This is a chicken ginger curry which helps energize the body because of the ginger. It is a great food to have with Yogi Tea if you are feeling like you might be getting a cold and in need of a immune boost. It is not a hot or spicy curry, but has a rich, pleasant sweetness to it.
- 1/2 cup ghee (approximately) – may substitute for coconut oil
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/4 cup minced peeled, finely chopped ginger root
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- salt to taste
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups of fresh yogurt (plain)
- Heat the ghee, then add the turmeric. when it bubbles, add the ginger root and sauté over medium-low heat 15 minutes (until ginger is soft). Be careful that it does not scorch. There should be enough ghee that it does not stick together.
- Add onions and cumin. When onions have browned, add garlic, salt and chicken. Let chicken cook with the spices for 10 minutes, then add yogurt and let it simmer for 15 minutes longer.
*For a richer curry, make a paste of 3 tablespoons garbanzo flour and water and blend into the curry. For a healthier dish, use free-range organic chicken.
This recipe is neutral for blood type A. Should be avoided or consumed minimally for all other types.
Adapted from a Ginger Curry paste recipe from "The Golden Temple Vegetarian Cookbook" by Yogi Bhajan