- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cilantro springs
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp whiskey
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2-3 banana leaves, cut into 3-inch/7.5 cm squares
- corn oil for pan-frying
- chili dipping sauce, to serve
1. Place the garlic, ginger, pepper, cilantro, fish sauce, and whiskey in a mortar and, using a pestle grind to a smooth paste.
2. Cut the chicken into 1-inch/2.5 cm chunks and toss in the paste to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Place a piece of chicken in banana leaf square and wrap it up like a package to enclose the chicken completely. Secure with wooden toothpicks or tie with string.
4. Heat a 1/2-inch / 3-mm depth of oil in a large heavy bottom skillet until hot.
5. Pan-fry the packages for 8-10 minutes, turning them over occasionally, until golden brown and the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve with a chili dipping sauce.
From Home Cooking "Quick and Healthy"