Brussels sprouts salad is a healthy lunch option or can also serve as an appetizer/starter for dinner. By eating this recipe you will be following some of out Top 10 tips for eating healthy – Eat something green everyday! Because something green will likely have vitamins A, C, K , B6 and minerals such as magnesium, calcium, iron, protein, fiber and more! Brussels sprouts are just great all around. They have a low Glycemic Index GI, so if you have diabetes this is a food you can eat well, just skip the bread crumbs.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (about 8 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 ounce shaved Asiago cheese (may replace for nutritional yeast flakes for vegan)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or just until golden, stirring constantly. Add breadcrumbs; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Transfer garlic mixture to a small bowl.
- Separate leaves from Brussels sprouts; quarter cores. Heat remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add leaves and cores to pan; cook 8 minutes or just until leaves wilt and cores are crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; toss with breadcrumb mixture, salt, and pepper. Top with walnuts and cheese.