Asparagus Spring Rolls recipe to give you more options of dishes using asparagus. Right now (March) seems to be full out Asparagus season!
It is impossible to go to the grocery store and not see the piles of them. So I have been eating asparagus like crazy! Enjoying while I can. In doing so, I have been looking for different ways to make it. You can add it to the Quiche, you can also add it to the rice casserole, and the easy fast way is to just sauté them with some butter and garlic. So yummy! This recipe also has sprouts which I love and are so good for you! Sprouts have a lot of vital energy. Now, let’s get to our vegetarian asparagus spring rolls recipe.
- 3.5 oz/ 100 g fine tip asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- oil for frying (pick your favorite, I stay away from canola and corn because they are usually GMO)
- chili dipping sauce or sweet and sour sauce to serve
- Place the asparagus, bell pepper and bean sprout in a large bowl. Add plum sauce to the vegetables and mix well.
- Beat the egg yolk in a small bowl and reserve until required.
- Lay the sheets of phyllo pastry out on a clean counter and cover with a damp dish towel to prevent them drying out.
- Work with 1 sheet of phyllo pastry at a time, place a small quantity of the filling at the top end of the sheet. Brush all the edges of the phyllo pastry with a little of the beaten egg yolk. Roll up sheet, tucking in the ends to enclose the filling like a spring roll. Continue filling and rolling the remaining phyllo pastry sheets.
- Heat the oil for frying in a preheated wok. Carefully cook the rolls, 2 at a time, in the hot oil for 4-5 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the packages with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels. Transfer the packages to warmed serving plates and serve immediately with a dipping sauce.
From "Home Cooking - Quick and Healthy"